Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ted Talks - Sir Ken Robinson on the future of technology

This is an incredible video about where education is heading in the future.  It will really make you think.
Video link

22 comments:

  1. I thought Ted's point about how education isn't linear, rather it's organic was quite interesting and relevant.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir Ken Robinson’s point that the educational system relates to a fast food model was quite interesting. Today’s society has one standardized goal in mind—college. This standardized “linear” goal often stunts a student’s true passions and goals in life (ex. the student that wanted to be a firefighter). The increase of technology in education has also created many challenges. Although technology can result in students flourishing, today students often rely too heavily on technology which creates an environment that is detrimental to their learning. So when using technology in the classroom teachers must be sure to develop conditions in which their children will thrive!
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested when Sir Ken Robinson's talked about how everyone should be able to find their talents in life and how we should be passionate in what we do.

    -Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing great minds speak about Education. It re-affirms in me my passion for education. I never want to 'get on with it,' but vibrantly and passionately pursue a future in the realm of teaching. I realize that we, the new generation of teachers will be the ones driving the revolution in education by taking our students as people, not drones. Education is not about getting kids to meet our expectations (college, a 'profession' etc), but it is about helping them to exceed their own by using the resources of the modern world (tech). Also, You gotta love a Brit.
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir Ken Robinson gives a great lecture on the failures and short comings of the educational system. That it does little to push individual to discover their true talents, that it is based on a fast food model. The later is probably of the greatest offense. I agree with Sir Robinson that the education system needs a reform. However, when I heard him talk about the individuals who do not like what they do, who simply "get on" with it and wait for the weekend, I wonder who will be the garbage collectors, what talents of the arts can be expressed through window washing? essentially I want to know what this organic, agricultural based model of education will look and how will it create a different product?

    -Kyle Tatro

    ReplyDelete
  6. He had a lot of good points. As a society today, children are pressured to be successful by going to college and obtaining a professional career and making money. This idea is instilled in children at a young age. Not all people fit that profile.
    -Camille

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken the most valiant of the knight of the realm made some really good point in his lecture that, us as future educators must take to heart. Firstly, yes our education system does no apply any more, we need a big change. As Ken said we need to change from fast food form of education into an agricultural education. Another point that I greatly agree with is that not everyone can go to college, it is not that the person is not capable of obtaining an college degree, but that if everyone has a college degree than in order to be well qualified for a job one must go beyond just a college degree. Another reason why not everyone can go to college is because we needed people to be firemen and other jobs that do not require a degree. We should encourage our students who wish to be firemen or other public works jobs to pursue those careers. Too often people who want to be the window washers and garbage collectors are told that there idea of a job is not good enough, so they go and get a degree in college in a subject that has less interest to them than the job that they wanted that was "too low"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the video with Sir Robinson. What particularly interested me was what he said about our unused talents. That really resonated with me because when I was in grade school I felt the same way; that I didn't know what I was good at. It made me sad that some people don't realize their talents and end up perusing things they don't love. So many people go through lives just punching in their time cards dreading their work week. I am excited to be doing a job I'll be excited to go to every morning. I know it wont always be fun to go to work but I think I'll love my student's so much I'll be motivated to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir Ken Robinson's statement concerning the standardizing of education is quite acurate. This is not only true but it is also a big problem with our nation. The standardization of our education fails to make a connection between educaiton and the passion that todays students share. This can be solved through the increase use of technology in education which will bridge the gap between education and the students passions. This will also make use of the abilities that students have expecially those concerning the use of technology.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ken is awesome!!! Mold those children as individual molds with a continual supply of new playdough!

    ~JoDee Wilch

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed the talk by Ken Robinson and he had many different things to say that struck me. First was his concept of ‘talents.’ The idea that every person has a set of their own unique talent and the diversity of those talents is what creates a well-rounded and best environment for learning is not necessarily ground breaking but that it doesn’t exist in education is hard to swallow. He continues to talk about how we preach conformity and a linear model to education causes us to worship the common instead of glorifying individuality. Robinson suggests instead that we need to have an ‘agricultural’ model for education and allow each school to grow for the future instead. However, as great as this sounds how do we go about doing this is the question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robinson's idea that education is not linear was brilliant. I completely agreed with the fact that everyone has different talents and we, as teachers or future teachers, should help students achieve those talents to their fullest potential. I feel that technology can help us create methods to help nurture students and create a more personal learning experience instead of a "fast food" type of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This video really made me think. The idea of becoming "disenthralled" with different areas of education and allowing change to come where it's needed really stuck with me. His point that we have built our educational models around that of fast food scared me, but it was a valid point. We so value conformity in a classroom that students who are not gifted in the ways that are valued in a classroom may be labeled as "stupid" or "incompetent." The "revolution" that Robinson suggests, however, would be very hard to implement and would take a lot of time and effort. I think that using technology more in the classroom would be a good way to unlock the potential of kids with different needs or types of intelligences. It would change everything and be completely worth it, if we can find the passion to implement it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it brilliant what Robinson said about education dislocating people from their natural talents. It does have a way of limiting individuality and creating homogeneous populations. This concept stresses the importance of teaching kids how to think, and not what to think. This is in line with his argument that education should provide the conditions for personalized development of talents and intellect. That of course is easier said than done because we all have a specific lens we perceive the world and impart on others. If anyone said he was unbiased he would be lying; that of course is my bias! Granted, as I think about this in regards to God’s word, we should all be moving into conformity; conformity into God’s ways and his yoke, which is not burdensome. When we find ourselves in Him we will truly experience who we are intended to be.
    I also don’t quite agree with him when he said that we need to stop thinking linearly; look where it has brought us in the last hundred years! The technological advances we have made as of late are truly astounding! Where might we be a hundred years from now- if the Lord terries. Our students should be allowed access to and use of technology, and they should also be encouraged to think of ways to better and improve what we have now. In the sciences there are so many exciting technological breakthroughs occurring, and one of my students could be the next one to bring it about!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sir Ken Robinson is a very interesting speaker. He has many interesting thoughts about where education is at today and where it should be heading. The thing I found most interesting was when he said changing the education should not be about reform any more because the model is broken, we need a revolution. Hand in hand with this thought was his point about teaching the students the best curriculum for them in the class, disregarding the linear thought and disengaging from the standardized model.

    Adding technology to this conversation then becomes looking at how technology can be used to personalize the curriculum in a useful way for students. I think this is one thing that our tech in ed class will help us with. How do we engage students with technology, with blogs, with apps, with tablets? On a side note, I thought its as funny how Robinson brought up the wristwatch and how his daughter said it wasn't multi-fuctional. Teaching technology in education with the curriculum will be helpful to students now as well as in the future as they attempt to go into a job market that increasingly requires knowledge of basic and advanced technology.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What stood out to me in this video was when Sir Ken Robinson was sharing his thoughts on talent. I found it interesting when he touched on the fact that some of us use our talents poorly, whereas others feel that they don’t even have a talent, and instead may spend a lot of time searching for it. He also mentions how individuals endure, rather than enjoy what they do, “getting on with it,” and working for the weekend. Now when he says, “It is who the person is,” is he indirectly referring to the theory that our talents make-up who we are? That we will enjoy life, rather than endure it, if we do make good use of our talents and/or discover what they may be? If so, this raises many other questions from the other side seeing how he gages us by splitting us into “two types of people.” Therefore, I feel Robinson is on to something when he takes notice to how some of these peoples’ talents are interrupted due to the education system.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found this video very intresting. I agree with many of what Sir Ken Robinson had to say involving education and technology as well. The first thing that I found intresting was when he was speaking about talents. In the world of today many people do not look to work in areas in which they really have a love for, but rather they work just to conform to society's model of an employee and move on with their lives. There are also people around the world who actually love what they do. Ken was saying that education is an explanation to the problem of people just working to get through life sucessfully. Educations proves to be a problem because instead of improving a broken model education needs to be totally transformed into something elce in order to reach the people of its time. He uses Abe Lincoln's quote saying that, "We must rise with the occasion" instead of holding on to something that worked in the past. The past ideas were formed for previous centuries instead of now. The world has simply become more digitalized and technology based, so we must use the tools that we now have for greater opportunities and knowledge. Instead of education being created for just gaining knowledge, it should also be a part of creating our lives as we explore our talents. He had some hilarous points about how "College begins in Kindergarten" I agree with him on this too. This is not how it should be. The child should evolve its knowlege as they grow and love being in kindergarden rather than thinking about college and being sucessfull at such young ages. It is so important for kids to be kids and learn as they go. He also spoke about Conformity and fast food restaurants. Conformity suggests that everything is standardized, which i dont believe, I believe that things need to be customized to circumstances just as Ken stated. Human talent is diverse and each child should be able to find what they are good at and something that they really enjoy doing with that talent. Many people settle for being good at things they really dont like to do for a job. This highlights an industrial model where we need to form to more of an agricultural model making the process more organic. Education is not the same for every student, each student should have a personal education and an education that is customized to their styles and talents. Technology is a new revolution and way that can better education. It is the way of today that children will better understand. One more thing that i believe that he did not mention is that Education should be like a collaboration of different eras, but also one involving a personalized focus on the kids of today and the enviornment they are learning in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't say that I had any earth-shattering revelations after watching this, but he had wise things to say about how children learn. I truly enjoyed his comparison of education to agriculture. I had never thought of it in that way before. True education happens often spontaneously: just as plants shoot up at different times, so all of us learn at different times and at different paces.

    I don't remember Robinson stating anything specifically about technology, but pointing out the necessity of watches to those over 25 showed how much culture changes and how education needs to change with it. (Coincidentally, I am under 25 and still wear a wristwatch, but that could just be a testament to my stubbornness.) Even if I may not think something necessary or vice versa, it might be important to my students' understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed the idea Sir Robinson Kelly brought up that we are teaching a generation to be prepared for a world that is ever changing/advancing in technology. How do we prepare students for that when we know very little about it?

    As a future teacher, this is an easy question to answer. The answer is to advance ourselves as much as possible to be proficient with the resources we have at our disposal. Kids are advancing, there is no reason we shouldn't as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW. That is honestly what comes to mind when I think of this video. Not only was I inspire to watch 2 other TED talks that Sir Robinson did, but his ideas challenged me so much. I was completely taken back by the realization that the system that we are functioning in was not made to suit the students of today.

    Further thinking about technology and education, how do we prepare students for an age we don't even know how to anticipate? I was incredibly compelled by Robinson's talk. When I think of the reasons I want to become a teacher, forming education to better suit the students of today is one of the reasons. I want students to feel like they walk into class and it is relevant and up-to-date with who they are. I want to be that kind of teacher.

    ReplyDelete